ANNOUNCING POINT MURAL – Call for Artists!
STEVENS POINT, Wis. (February 23, 2017) – As part of our 160th Anniversary celebrations, the Stevens Point Brewery, in partnership with CREATE Portage County, is eager to announce an open call for artists interested in developing an original public art piece for the west-facing wall of the Galaxy Comics Games & More building (925 Clark Street) in downtown Stevens Point! We welcome artists and designers of all forms to apply but specifically encourage those who work in murals, public art, and mosaic.
This project is designed to commemorate our rich 160 years of exceptional beverage-making in Stevens Point. As such, artwork should focus on the story of the brewery and its impact on the Stevens Point Area. We are also eager to contribute to the placemaking goals of the growing downtown mural collection and thus encourage artists to envision contemporary public art that will draw people to the downtown. Our ideal is an iconic mural that becomes a staple for both locals and visitors taking pictures to celebrate their time in Stevens Point.
Initial applications are due at or before 5:00PM on Friday, April 7th, 2017 and should be emailed to email@example.com. These applications should include:
- Artist’s resume (listing all public art projects),
- 2 to 3 letters of recommendation (please have them speak to the timeliness of your work),
- 5 to 10 representative digital images of your work,
- AND a written proposal with initial imagery to demonstrate your concept for the space.
The selection committee will judge proposals on the following criteria:
- Quality, originality, and appeal of the concept
- Concept’s capacity to capture the spirit of the Stevens Point Brewery
- Concept’s appropriateness for a public setting
- Artist’s proven capacity for timely completion of the project
Artists, designers, studios, and teams may submit multiple concepts for this project, and artists from any location are encouraged to apply. However, preference will be given first to local and then to regional or Wisconsin artists.
Timeline & Fine Print
The selection committee will choose three to five finalists to make a presentation between May 15 – 19 that will include the following:
- Finalized images of your project (preferably shown on the space),
- Explanation of the concept and its goals,
- AND a budget and timeline for the completed work.
The Stevens Point Brewery has set aside a stipend of up to $10,000 (depending on the scope of the project) to cover materials and artist compensation. Budgets should speak to the quality of materials and the execution of both surface preparation and a lasting, high-quality public art piece.
Artist must be available to begin this project on June 1st, to complete the project in July of 2017, and will agree to work with the Stevens Point Brewery on events that highlight and celebrate both the brewery and the creation of the public art piece. The selected artwork and its likeness will become the property of the Stevens Point Brewery, which reserves the right to use the image for promotional and retail purposes.
Thank you in advance for your thoughtful submissions. We are eager to find the right partner for this project.
–Julie Birrenkott, Director of Marketing, Stevens Point Brewery
–Greg Wright, Executive Director, CREATE Portage County